The reasons why many individuals want to get a permanent cosmetic tattoo are quite varied. Perhaps some want to end the bother of applying makeup over and over again such as defining the eyeliner or pencilling the eyebrow. Others perhaps turn to it as a corrective procedure to hide scars or wrinkles. But, whatever the reason might be, it is important to consider the post-procedure realities.
Hailed as one of the recognized experts in the field of cosmetic tattooing in Melbourne, Beauty 24/7 understands just how important the results are to you. But from time to time, people can be unaware of the key things that should be looked out for during the healing process.
Just like any other procedure on your body, the areas where your tattoo is going to be etched need time to heal. We believe you need to know what to expect. So, we have listed below some of the main factors that you can expect to deal with after your cosmetic tattoo procedure.
Generally, there are 3 key factors to consider immediately after having a permanent cosmetic tattoo procedure done. But there are more which depend on the area of the body that is involved. After all, the eyes are different to the lips, so procedure-specific factors are important to consider.
● Don’t Worry About The Dark Shade – It can be shocking, but don’t worry. It’s completely natural that immediately after the procedure, the colour you chose and the actual colour of your cosmetic tattoo will not be the same. But the darker shade is only temporary. Certainly, over the next 2 weeks or so, you’ll notice the colour getting gradually lighter as your skin heals.
● Healing Takes 2-6 Weeks – For those who undergo the procedure, the real frustration is going through the recovery process. Many believe that healing is completed after about 2 weeks. But the fact is that it can continue for as long as 6 weeks. You will have to wait for the full period to pass before being able to tell if the tattoo is a success. This is especially true when it comes to colour (as mentioned above). So, it may take 6 weeks for the right shade to finally emerge.
● Stay Clear Of Soaps – This applies to the first 24-48 hours after getting your permanent cosmetic tattoo procedure. The chemicals in your normal soap, shower gel and facial cleansers can cause significant damage during this vital time. This is because the pigment and skin are in the process of bonding. So, while showering or bathing, take care not to cause irritation around the relevant area. Instead, dab gently with warm water and a clean piece of cloth, then dry with cotton wool. A thin layer of the Cosmetic Tattoo Medi-Cream will help to protect the area from dirt and infection.
After Lip Procedures
● Weeping – Around the area of your tattooed lips, you are going to weep a bit. It’s completely natural, as your lips are coming to terms with the work that has just been done. Weeping is only going to last for 1 to 3 hours. However, it’s important to wipe the clear puss away gently using clean piece of cloth. It’s also important to keep your lips moist to avoid scabbing and cracking. So, continually apply Vaseline to seal in the moisture.
● Numbness – Despite having swollen lips, it’s not a good idea to apply an ice compress until the numbness you experience has fully subsided. The numb feeling is caused by the anaesthesia. When the feeling is gone, that means the anaesthetic has finally worn off. Only then should you do something about the tenderness and sensitivity (sucking ice cubes works well).
● Cold Sores – If you tend to get cold sores very regularly, then the first 3 days of your recovery is the time when you are especially vulnerable to getting them again. For this reason, use a gentle cold sore cream like Zovirax. Continue until the recovery period is completed.
● Pale Colour – Unlike other areas of the body, the pigment in swollen lips tends to look paler rather than darker than the chosen colour. You might notice this from the second day through to the 14th or 15th day. But as mentioned above, just be patient and let the healing process run its course.
After an Eyeliner Procedure
● Swelling – Everyone who has a cosmetic tattoo done on their eyes will experience swelling around the eyes immediately afterwards. The severity of the swelling will vary from person to person. There will be puffiness and redness similar to what occurs after a long hard cry. Generally, this lasts for between 1 to 3 days.
● Little Ointment – It is not a good idea to apply generous amount of eye ointment to the reddened area. You should only smear on a little bit once a day for the next 6 or 7 days. This does help to improve recovery results.
● Make Up is Fine – Though it is best to let your eyes recover for at least a week, applying make-up – either eyeliner or eye shadow – is not going to cause any real problems. This includes the use of contact lenses. However, give at least 24 days rest before succumbing to temptation.
After an Eyebrow Procedure
● Weeping – As with lip procedures, the area around your eyebrows is going to weep for a couple of hours after the tattoo is completed. Again, wipe the puss away gently with a firm press. But to maintain moisture in the area, use Stratamed twice daily for 2 weeks. Or you may take Bepanthen 3 times daily for the first week of recovery and then just twice daily for the next 3 weeks. Too much Bepanthen can cause unevenness in the colour as the skin can be prevented from properly breathing.
● Swelling – It generally takes between 24 to 48 hours for the swelling to go down. So, feel free to recommence your hectic social life after a few days. However, the tender feeling may last a little longer and you still need to take care of your new eyebrows.
● Flaking – It is completely normal that some flaking may occur around your eyebrows. This is largely unnoticed until up close and will last for about 2 weeks. When it is completed, your eyebrows’ new colour should be soft not harsh (though this depends on the shade chosen).
● Colour Lifespan – Keep in mind that lighter colours tend to fade faster than darker colours. Of course, this is completely logical but it also means that a re-touch is going to be needed after about 15 months, as opposed to the 18-24 months for darker pigments.
Cosmetic Tattooing from Beauty 24/7
Beauty 24/7 has been serving its Melbourne clients with beauty procedures of the highest calibre. Their beauty therapy services range from advanced facials and waxing to cosmetic tattoos and professional make-up services. When it comes to its experience and expertise in cosmetic tattooing, Melbourne has the finest salon facilities such as Beauty 24/7, where the highest levels of hygiene are adhered to every time.
At Beauty 24/7, we offer free consultation where we will listen to your desires and preferences. Then, we will discuss your options and the process involved before you make up your mind. For more details on cosmetic tattooing in Melbourne’s leading beauty therapy salon such as Beauty 24/7, check out our website or call us on 1300-134-247 to organize your free consultation today.